COLLECTIVE SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT

Presentation: Introduction + Lessons Learned Using Google Web Toolkit (GWT)

Friday, April 18, 2008

Over the past couple of months, I have delivered a presentation on GWT [PPT, 6MB] to a couple of JUGs (Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids). This topic has been pretty hot. At both presentations, the JUGs had twice as many attendees than usual. And the presentation was pretty well-received, so I thought I would share it for others to reuse.

Part I is an "Introduction to GWT". In that part, I stole a lot of content (with permission) from excellent presentations from Bruce Johnson & Didier Girard. Everything in Part I is pretty straightforward, and has been pretty well-received by the audience.

Part II is a bit more controversial. In Part II, I go through some lessons learned using GWT. By and large, I tried to highlight tips & tricks that I had to discover by scouring the forums and GWT books. However, I also make some recommendations that are counter to some of the prevailing conventional wisdom around GWT (as I understand it). For example,

  • I recommend working with a designer to produce HTML / CSS, and then using GWT to inject dynamic activities in the page.
  • I also recommend using multiple modules in a GWT app, and breaking up modules by user role.

I'll explain those decisions in more detail in future blog posts. But I'd love to hear from others...whether or not you agree with my decisions.

No comments: